Monday, November 12, 2012

NaBloPoMo Day 9: Becoming a Parent


I became a parent when I was already seventeen years into reunion with my birthmother and seven years in reunion with my birthfather. So my kids have 8 grandparents:
  1. Nonna
  2. Papa Jim (Dane's mom & stepdad2)
  3. Grampa Joe (Dane stepdad1)
  4. Nanna
  5. Papa Pete (my mom & dad)
  6. Kate / Grammy Kate (birthmother)
  7. Uncle-Grandpa Steve (birth-step-father - kids gave him the "uncle-grandpa")
  8. Grandpa John (birthfather)
For my kids, that's the way it is. It's not particularly strange or unusual. But, for me, it constantly amazes me.  

It's through my kids where the true integration of all sides of who I am comes through. They understand that the musical side come from my birthmother's side, that Reed's eyes are like my birthfather's side, Quinn's love of hockey from my adoptive dad, a bunch of their sayings come from my adoptive mom. They are all of it, without question. 



No comments:

Post a Comment