Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mother's Day?

I met my birthmother twenty two years ago. Is that right? 1989. I just graduated high school, was about to go into college and in the middle of all that - we met.

This is my first post to this new blog. I'm wanting it to be a space where adoptees in reunion can talk about their experience. I want to talk about my experience because my experience has a breadth and depth that astounds me. Twenty two years in reunion. We've come a long way, but there will always be issues, always things unresolved, and I still find it all so interesting.

Along the way I've found some friends that are also adoptees, also have been in reunion, and I find it amazing to talk to them. Beause unlike so many other things in life - marriage, kids, parents, work - there isn't much out there about what it's like to be part of this whole big strange family that we're in. Hell, there is plenty out there on mixed-marriages, blended families, gay parenting, all sorts of "non-tranditional" families. But, our strange family - us adoptees in reunion - still feels a little in the dark. It's uncertain, and we all just plod through it on our own. But, when I talk to friends who have had similar experiences as they try to adjust their lives to fit this new, strange, blended family, I am amazed by the reassurance I feel. We are not alone. There are things about this that make sense, that are predictable, that are "normal."

So, I hope to find others out there and hear your stories as well. I don't want this to be all about me. I want to hear from you too. I want to know how other adoptees in reunion handle Mother's Day. I want to hear what it's like for other adoptees in reunion to go to a family reunion. I want to hear your stories and share mine so we all hear what's going on for each other.

***

to view my birthmother's blog on the same topic, go to mothertone

***

Thoughts? Reflections? Opinions?

Please comment!

1 comment:

  1. I was friends with your birthmother while she was pregnant with you. What a long strange journey the two of you have had. I know that it is more than enough for Kate that you are in her life. Do not fret about what is right or wrong. Listen to your deepest spirit. It will never guide you wrongly.

    ReplyDelete